Nuku’alofa – June 1, 2020: 9.30pm (Enviro News): The National Environment Week 2020 kick started yesterday with a church service at the Church of Tonga in Pahu.
A full week of activities has been planned by the Department of Environment to help promote the message for the week.
This year’s theme is “PROTECT NATURE, RESPECT BIODIVERSITY, SECURE YOUR LIFE!”
Chief Executive Officer Mr Paula Ma’u said the message is important to understand and Tongans must work with this so that we are able to sustain and protect our lives.
“The food we eat, the air we breathe, the water we drink and the climate that makes our planet habitable all come from nature,” he said.
“Yet, these are exceptional times in which nature is sending us a message:
To care for ourselves we must care for nature.It’s time to wake up. To take notice. To raise our voices.
“It’s time to build back better for People and Planet.This World Environment Day, it’s Time for Nature.”
Activities planned for the week included:
*Sunday 31st May 2020Church Service – Tonga Konisitutone
* Monday 1st June 2020Tree planting programme:Tonga College, Takuilau College, Liahona High School, GPS Fanga’o PilolevuLive Program & Public Quiz Competition @FM 87.5 (1hr)(Topic: Biodiversity)
* Tuesday 2nd June 2020Live Program & Quiz Competition @FM 87.5 (1hr)(Topic: Pollution)
* Wednesday 3rd June 2020Live Program & Quiz Competition @FM 87.5 (Topic: MSP/MPA)
* Thursday 4th June 2020Live Program & Quiz Competition @FM 87.5 (Topic: EIA)
* Friday 5th June 2020Launch of SoE report with Cabinet members at St.George BuildingLive Program & Quiz Competition @FM 87.5 (1hr)(Topic: Sum up activities and awareness programmes)
* Saturday 6th June 2020OCEAN Day: Beach clean up